ARLA/CLUSTER: D-Star...

Salomao Fresco sal.fresco gmail.com
Terça-Feira, 16 de Outubro de 2007 - 08:57:25 WEST

Olá a todos!

Para não ser acusado de parcialidade acerca do D-Star, junto transcrição de
um outro comentário retirado do mesmo forúm, desta vez acerca das vantagens
do sistema D-Star.
O Comentário é assinado pelo Mark WB9QZB, residente em Chicago, Illinois,
numa zona com cobertura D-Star.

.../... *Since I don't believe you have actually used D-STAR yet and I have
I will respond to your concerns about D-STAR:

1) I find the audio quality of D-STAR not only acceptable, but in many cases
preferable to FM since it does not have the static & pass noise that
accompanies FM as the signal dimishes in strength.

2) One could have a philosophical argument about whether a digital voice
radio should be able to switch to becoming a dedicated data radio at a
higher data rate than D-STAR's low-speed data (950 bps). However the
low-speed data built into EVERY D-STAR digital voice radio eliminates the
need for a separate TNC or modem that you would need with an FM radio.
Low-speed data that is concurrent with digital voice has been found to be
very useful for sending GPS coordinates, text messages &
keyboard-to-keyboard exchanges. These are very useful in public service &
emergency activities.

3) Digital voice systems have been found to have a 15% greater effective
range that FM at equivalent power levels due to the lack of path noise on
digital voice. When digital voice becames garbled due to weak signal the FM
signal would already be unusable due to path noise.

4) D-STAR radios cost about the same as FM VHF/UHF radio did 15 years ago
when adjusted for inflation, but D-STAR radios do a lot more. We tend to
forget or not realize that ham radio equipment has gotten very cheap over
the last 10 years and has tracked the same reduction in consumer electronics
prices, such as VCRs.

5) 35 years ago at the dawn of FM repeaters you could have made the same
argument that no one owns an FM radio and you should stay on 2m, 6m or 10m
AM simplex which were popular at the time & very cost effective. But hams
did spend more money on new crystal controlled FM radios once the repeaters
went up & saw the obivious benefits of repeaters. As D-STAR repeaters are
going on the air the same thing is happening.

6) You could have used the same argument in the 1950s that SSB would make it
so that most SWLs couldn't hear amateur SSB on their inexpensive AM
receivers. There are a large number of existing analog FM repeaters that
will be around for a very long time for scanner listeners to hear so there
should be no concern about D-STAR displacing exisiting FM. In fact, all
D-STAR radios also can do FM and most D-STAR repeaters implemented by groups
do not displace existing FM repeaters.

7) Many clubs or groups who already operate analog FM repeaters are adding
D-STAR repeaters & are not replacing the existing FM repeaters. They have
found it is important that the D-STAR repeaters be implemented to provide
coverage as good if not better than the existing FM repeaters.

I live 1 1/2 miles from a 57-story condo building that has 70cm & 23 cm
D-STAR digital voice repeaters and a 70cm D-STAR digital data repeater. The
building also has a 440 FM repeater. I am also within HT coverage of several
FM repeaters on 2m, 440 AND 1.2 GHz. That is the benefit of living in an
urban area for me as a ham.

The rural town I grew up in, Baraboo, WI, had one of the first wide-area 2m
FM repeaters in Wisconsin at 1,200 feet above average terrain in the early
1970s. Within the next year that same site will have 2m, 70 cm & 23cm D-STAR
Digital Voice repeaters & 23cm Digital Data repeaters that will cover a
large rural area of south central Wisconsin in addition to an urban area
like the state capitol of Madison, WI. The existing 2m & 440 FM repeaters at
this site which have excellent coverage will be retained.

The reality is that most of American citizens live in urban areas. I don't
believe we should let the constraints of a rural environment confine us to
the least common denominator of technology. We need to continue to innovate
& use new technology as it becomes available & feasible. Over time hams will
adopt new technology as they understand its benefits and the new technology
will be deployed in areas that have sufficient population density to support
& use it.

73, Mark, WB9QZB
Chicago, IL
*
________________________

Este assunto D-Star poderá ser a mola impulsionadora da tão desejada
alteração ao Regulamento sdo Serviço de Amador, desde que devidamente
tratado e manipulado pelas Associações.

Relembro mais uma vez que é obrigatório reunir consensos, criar um grupo de
trabalho que seja representativo dos interesses dos Amadores Nacionais, *e
não só das Associações cada uma por si, *para obter resultados positivos.
Já verificamos que existe uma abertura ao diálogo, não vamos perder a
oportunidade e deitar tudo a perder por causa de bairrismos exacerbados e
regionalismos patéticos.
Afinal vivemos todos no mesmo pais.

Cumprimentos

Salomão Fresco
CT2IRJ

If it works... dont fix it!

Esta mensagem foi escrita com electrões 100% reciclados.