ARLA/CLUSTER: A propósito do D-Star...

Salomao Fresco sal.fresco gmail.com
Segunda-Feira, 15 de Outubro de 2007 - 23:54:15 WEST

Olá a todos!

Num forúm de que sou "cliente" surgiu a pergunta acerca das vantagens
da utilização do sistema D-Star e da instalação de repetidores deste tipo,
nomeadamente no Reino Unido.
Uma das análises feitas pelo Rick KV9U reporta assim:

"The negatives of D-Star seem to me:

1) It has lower audio quality than FM voice, especially for average to
strong signals. This is very disappointing to me.

2) The design to cripple the text data portion on the 2 meter/440 bands
is most unfortunate. They would have been much better off to design a
system using the full bandwidth for voice and allow you to switch over
to data if you needed to do this. Or at least have the option of
shrinking the voice bandwidth only when you needed to send data and I
suspect that won't be very often with most users.

3) It does not work much farther, if any further, than existing systems.
This is a huge concern where I live as we have some directions where
even a very high repeater, with excellent antenna and power, can work
out less than 15 miles due to shading problems.

4) Cost is a factor, but not the over riding factor, if there were
compelling reasons to move toward new technology. I was an early adopter
of VHF text digital messaging (packet radio) but that eventually died
out in our area. But at the time I was willing to spend money to get
some compelling benefits over VHF digital RTTY using a Model 15 Teletype
machine.

5) If we tried to use it during an emergency, few hams would be able to
participate, therefore you would have to switch back to analog or lose
many participants.

6) Analog FM has been helpful in attracting some new hams who listen to
the repeater. (It is simply amazing how many people listen and figure
out who you are when you live in a rural area like I do).

7) Adding a digital repeater to our relatively new analog system that is
located on one of the highest points in the county and has emergency
power is very unlikely to ever happen in my lifetime. It would have to
be a lesser system with much shorter range and would only attract a
niche interest. I don't do digital ham radio because it is digital, I do
it when it has compelling reasons, which it does for text digital on HF.

73,

Rick, KV9U"

Deixo à vossa consideração, relembrando mais uma vez que existem outros
assuntos
que deverão ser tratados com mais alta prioridade do que este,
pois se ainda não conseguimos "resolver" a matéria atrasada (há 12 anos)
corremos o
risco de fazer uma "revolução" à pressa e esticar o passo para acompanhar o
resto do pelotão.

Cumprimentos

Salomão Fresco
CT2IRJ

If it works... dont fix it!

Esta mensagem foi escrita com electrões 100% reciclados.