ARLA/CLUSTER: Nunca pensei assistir a isto !!!

Miguel Andrade ct1etl clix.pt
Quinta-Feira, 2 de Novembro de 2006 - 01:29:26 WET

Hi there Joachim,

First let me express my gratitude to our colleague Salomão by his help on
this topic translation.
Usually there is no time to translate my topics. My dream was to help you
with English conversions at least for those messages you would like to know
something more about the contents.
Anyway, has today I do have now some free time let's do it :

Betreff: ARLA/CLUSTER: Nunca pensei assistir a isto !!!

Esteemed OM's

Most likely, probably I’m quite absent from the actuality concerning ham
radio, so let me apologise myself for this message and please be so kind to
help me. Otherwise… yesterday the circumstances were beyond all the limits
( at least my own limits ).
It was late afternoon, October 29th 2006, and after return back home I have
run towards my station to test a small innovation, brought from the A.R.V.M.
Ham Radio meeting.
While looking for SSTV signals on 14.230 KHz, it was obvious ( by the most
unpleasant reasons )that another contest was “ on air “.
I have volunteered used the expression “ by the most unpleasant reasons “,
taking in consideration the full disregard concerning the I.A.R.U.
recommendations band plan as well as standard praxis and usage of the above
referred frequency or of the band it self. On this frequency in particular,
for instance, one could only get strong SSB signals by than.
As each fine DX’er would do first ( and also fallowing my routine of good
listener ), my next move was to explore the band, up and down, to find out
that for the most part these calls were made by stations taking part on the
“ CQ WW DX Contest – SSB “, one of the most significant Ham Radio
competition in the world.
Even on the frequencies usually engaged for low power stations, the
hypothetical contesters of the “ CQ WW SWL Challenge – SSB “ couldn’t find
any opening to hear the QRP’s. On this segment and almost anywhere, the
struggle involving the “ big sharks “ was so remarkable that the
extraordinary output power getting out, should be sufficient to glow the
dark side of the planet at that same night.
After a while, I have turned off my equipment and let my shack to join the
family at dinner table. This experience was also a massive disappointment
caused by countless examples with reference to how shouldn’t we act in Ham
Radio, flavoured with some practical lessons regarding how to be rude or
with reference to how can we disrespect basic rules of civics.
Quite long after dinner, without any prospect to accomplish my tests on that
same day, it was needed some courage to return back to the radio in face of
the events on the 20 meters band.
After some time taking into account the late events, I decide myself for the
40 meters band, hoping to avoid in this way any DX activity and looking for
a different kind of propagation that could let me away from contest’s pile
up’s.
Well, it wasn’t hard to conclude that in some days the transceiver should
stay off ( with my best deference to all colleagues that are devoted to
contests and specially to this one in particular ).
During my search beginning at 7.000 KHz suddenly an unpleasant new surprise…
stations working in SSB below 7.040 KHz.
Besides any possible unawareness for my part, this practice it wasn’t
according either with our outdated national regulation, either with I.A.R.U.
recommendations band plan.
When finally I decided to take my first written annotations, many stations
were out of my reach already. Nevertheless please let me share with you this
examples found between 7.000 and 7.040 KHz limits :

7.010,5 KHz - V26B ( LSB )
7.016,0 KHz - IN3VVK ( LSB )
7.017,0 KHz - CT9L ( LSB )
7.020,0 KHz - 6W1YR ( LSB )
7.023,2 KHz - 4N6FZ ( LSB )
7.025,0 KHz - 5B/AJ2O ( LSB )
7.027,5 KHz - CT3YA ( LSB )

And countless others...
Please note how well Portugal is represented with these two callsigns !
How does these stations could use the frequency in such harmony ?… simply
because they were calling specially for North America and made use from
frequencies above 7.200 KHz to listen; ( I hardly understand how could they
profit with this practice taking in consideration classic analogical AM high
power broadcasting stations there ).
Please tell me; are these circumstances regular ?
Is it a legal pratice these gentleman making use of the referred frequencies
for phone in SSB ?
Is there any exceptional consent for contests ?
To someone unaware about this subject as me, the facts described above are
( on a first glance ) unacceptable, as for someone who have the legal right
to work on CW or to use digital modes ( usually consignees to those
frequencies ), yesterday such operation simply hasn’t achievable at all.
With so many stations calling beneath the usual bandwidth engaged in SSB…
there wasn’t a lot of free space for any non-contesters.

73's de Miguel Andrade ( CT1ETL )
IM58js - 38º44'57" N/009º11'26" W
CQ Zone 14 ********** ITU Zone 37
endereço em/adress in www.qrz.com