ARLA/CLUSTER : DX material, etc.

Carlos L.R. de A.Gonçalves carlos-relvas sapo.pt
Sexta-Feira, 19 de Maio de 2006 - 10:14:41 WEST

NEW ZEALAND
R. NZi observations:
9870 kHz 1102-f/out 1125, 17 May, English, news; 15421, almost inaudible by
1130.
15720 kHz 0634-0655, 18 May, Engish, Checkpoint prgr, with talks on sev.
topics; 25432; couldn't obs. the scheduled s/off time at 0700.

(Carlos Gonçalves - POR)

SOUTH AFRICA
Still on the UNID on 4990 some thought it might be some Brazilian stn, well,
it is indeed Christian Voice and you can be sure it's in Braz. Portuguese...
The people behind this operation don't seem to realize the style of the
prgrs and the kind of Portuguese used in the prgrs don't fit the targeted
audiences, I mean they don't really match.    Those people are much more
used to the sort of European Portuguese than something "odd" coming out of
Brazil.

To put forward a tiny example, yesterday 18/5 at nearly 2205 for instance, a
presenter mentioned the word "gringa" when referring to a certain N.Am.
music & artist... Now, I happen to know this is, in theory, a contemptuous
(Mexican) name for either an N.American or even a British, and that for some
reason its use extended far beyond, thence the Brazilian also including it.
Nowadays, I suppose "gringo(a)" is no longer that heavy.  So, this along
with many other terms, not to mention slightly diff. lexical structure of
Braz. Port. simply make it inadequate for an Afr. audience which is closer
to the European standard.   Here's another example: go and tell the Africans
to "pegar um ônibus"*, and they may imagine you're pulling their leg.  *)
take a bus (omnibus, Lat. "for all"); "pegar num ônibus" doesn't work
eitgher for it means you're holding one... nah, too bulky & heavy, hi, so
this is really confusing unless you know the language.   Oh, by way, you can
"pegar um touro" though, and that's a correct piece of sentence - meaning
(in Portuguese bullfights only) you're facing the bull and then hold it by
the horns... if the beast isn't smarter and kick you in the air!

Conversely, the same applies to what R.Sweden and Swiss R.I. did in the past
vis-à-vis their Brazilian-filled Portuguese services which had progrs to
Eur, Afr & SoAm.

Must dash, sry. for the long speech, but it won't work w/o examples.

(Carlos Gonçalves - POIR)
73,
Carlos.